The dentists at Natomas Crossing Dental Care in Sacramento, CA have years of experience in tooth extraction. While permanent teeth are meant to last a lifetime, an extraction may be recommended for several reasons. If you need a tooth extraction, or tooth removal, in Sacramento, contact us for a consultation. We’ll make sure you get the best treatment possible.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Why might I need a tooth extraction?
There are times when it is necessary to remove a tooth, including:
- If a baby tooth has misshapen or long roots that prevent it from falling out, the tooth must be removed to make room for the permanent tooth to erupt
- When a tooth has so much decay that it puts the surrounding teeth and jaw at risk of decay, the tooth is removed and replaced with a bridge or implant
- Infection in a tooth or several teeth
- Orthodontic correction that may require removal of a tooth or several teeth to provide room for the improved teeth alignment
- Problems with wisdom teeth, such as impaction
What is the tooth removal procedure?
When it is determined that a tooth needs to be removed, your dentist may extract the tooth during a regular checkup or may request another visit for this procedure. The root of each tooth is encased within your jawbone in a tooth socket, and your tooth is held in that socket by a ligament. To extract a tooth, your dentist must expand the socket and separate the tooth from the ligament holding it in place. While this procedure is typically very quick, it is important to share with your doctor any concerns or preferences for sedation.
Once a tooth has been removed, neighboring teeth may shift, causing problems with chewing or with the functioning of your jaw joint. To avoid these complications, your dentist may recommend that you replace the extracted tooth. We discuss replacement options with you so can make an informed decision.